Pages

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Apple Pie Breakfast or Snack

I love this dish because not only is it easy but it's like an instant apple pie fix in about 5 minutes. This morning I made the recipe below and I ate ALL of it for breakfast. It's one of the recipes I have been wanting to share for some time however the photos I keep taking with my cell phone haven't done it justice. For our wedding anniversary we decided to invest in a decent camera and now I feel like I may be able to hang with some of these food bloggers with the fabulous photos. Now I just need to step up my creativity and artistic arrangement, eh?


Ingredients

1/2 cup of unsweetened shredded dry coconut
2 organic apples diced (apples have one of the highest pesticide residues, so yes, organic)
1/2 cup of nuts (pecans, almonds, walnuts...whatever you have)
1 T coconut oil
1/2 t pumpkin pie spice
1 T real maple syrup

Cut the apples first because this recipe moves very quickly. Over medium heat toast the coconut flakes and then put them into a bowl. Add the nuts to the same pan and toast them for a minute or two, when you smell them, and put them into the bowl with the coconut. Next add the coconut oil, apples, maple syrup, and pumpkin pie spice and stir to coat. I don't cook the apples any longer than it takes to combine all of these things in the pan. Dump the apples into the bowl of coconut and nuts, stir, and enjoy. For an extra healthy addition try topping it with chia or hemp seeds.

Once you have the gist of how this recipe goes together you can customize it to your liking. If you like more or less coconut or nuts adjust accordingly. If you don't have pumpkin pie spice, use cinnamon and maybe a little allspice and/or clove. 

No comments:

Post a Comment