Pages

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Sausage Lovers Paleo Supreme Pizza


I first learned the concept of a meatza from Melissa Joulwan, author of Well Fed. While I can't take credit for the meatza concept I do take credit for these seasonings. Honestly, I think this is better than the traditional pizza served on a doughy crust. Instead of dough, my crust is made of homemade Italian sausage. I like to make my own sausage because not only can I control the seasoning but I can also assure the quality of meat and how it was raised.

For the crust:

1 lb ground pork
1t salt
pepper
1t granulated garlic
1t fresh rosemary finely chopped
1/4t ground oregano
1/2t fennel seeds
1/2t onion powder
1/4t crushed red pepper flakes

Combine the ingredients above with your hands and then press into a cast iron skillet. I used a 10" skillet. (11" at the top and 10" at the bottom) You could also use a 9" pie plate or something similar. Then put the crust into the oven at 400F for 15 minutes without toppings.

While the crust is baking mix up this no-cook pizza sauce:

2T of tomato paste
1C of strained tomatoes
1/2t salt
1/2t garlic

I know most people think that eating well is too difficult so I purposely made this sauce easy to throw together. You want the sauce to be thicker rather than thinner. If it's too thin it will get watery in the oven. It won't taste bad but you'll lose some of your sauce.

Remove the pizza crust from the oven and hold the crust in the pan with a spatula as you tilt the pan to drain the grease. Melissa transfers the crust to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Either will work.

Supreme pizza was my favorite before I adopted my paleo lifestyle and this pizza definitely fills that craving for me, and then some. Add as much sauce as you like. If any is remaining store it in the freezer for a quick addition to another dish. You can top this pizza however you wish. I thinly sliced green peppers, onions, and mushrooms and then layered pepperoni, the large size, from Applegate farms on top. Omit pepperoni for Whole 30 unless you can find pepperoni without sugar.

Return the pizza to the oven for another 15 minutes and then enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment